Friday, October 23, 2009

Bringing you Up-to-Date

So that last post dealt with my experiences last weekend. Just wanted to give a brief description of how things are going presently.

This week we got a chance to have a few fun adventures. The rest of the island had only 2 or 3 days of school, breaking in the middle for a special election day and at the end for United Nations day. Although Peace Corps had a bit more class time, we still took time to enjoy life here.

Yesterday we went to a small island called Deketik (like deke tikitik, or small island) just off the eastern coast of Pohnpei, very close to our training site. We went to do more cultural and water safety training. We learned that weaving palm baskets takes patience and practice, and that lighting fires takes dry kindling and a lighter. The local way, of course. We also got a good chance to enjoy a day of sun and excellent swimming water.

That outing was great for several reasons. It was excellent to frolic with my fellow PCTs. It was fun to see my language instructors fishing while we wove our way through the mangrove roots and coral reefs of low tide. We also went right past the coastal community where I will live after swear-in (teach in Lukop, live a few villages away). Both Deketik and my home community have beautiful island foliage and look out over bright, clean water. Deketik has a beautiful white sand beach; my community, being on the main island, has a rocky and mangrove-y shore.

Right now I am two weeks away from my swear-in. That means that I have only two more weeks of official language and culture lessons, as well as only two more weeks living with my current host family (and near the 9 other M76 Pohnpei trainees). Today we are all in Kolonia for a day of running errands, and I'm about to leave Telecom to join them all for lunch. We've all gotten very comfortable with each other. November 6 will be a day of change for all of us, certainly. But the island is small and time flies, so I'm sure we'll be back together for our in-service meetings next spring before we know it.

And tonight I go to my first fundraiser. Hooray!

3 comments:

  1. Mollie!! Sounds like you are having a great time! My parents asked about you the other day. We are all thinking about you! Stay safe and carpe diem.
    Love from CA
    Miekes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mollie-Thinking about you and praying for you too. We are enjoying going to lunch on Sunday after 2nd service with the Aherns, Williams and your parents. Your mom and dad are keeping us up to date. Hope your last week of training goes well. Love, Karen O:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mollie,

    You don't know me but I am a former Peace Corps Volunteer. I was a Health Educator in Kipar, Pohnpei from 1982-1984...yeah, I know - a long time ago. I currently live in Afghanistan but I am planning to come to Pohnpei in December for a visit. If you don't mind, could I ask you a few questions? My email is mjunge2000 at yahoo dot com. Thanks, Mike

    ReplyDelete