Monday, November 2, 2009

Musically Missing You!

Yesterday I made a psych-up playlist on my ipod. It is an array of up-tempo songs that make me glad, both for their groovy rhythms as well as for the people they make me think of while listening. Originally made to help me wake up in the morning, I found out yesterday that it doubles as really excellent afternoon walking music. It even works as lopwolopw music (aka: pounding your laundry on a rock with a club). Thought it would be fun to share!

“The Opposite of Hallelujah” Jens Lekman – EJ!
“1901” Phoenix – thesis dance parties with Pat
“Chicago” Sufjan Stevens – reminds me of this summer’s roadtrip
“Raspberry Beret” Prince – brother, again
“Dark Side of the Moon” from Mulan – the album is identified as “Misa’s Disney Masterpiece,” so I think that one would be obvious.
“Familia (Guy Sigsworth Remix)” Mirah – Hooray, FAP!
“I Want You Back” Jackson 5 – Pops, and CityStep, equally
“Heartland” George Straight – Papi
“Friends in Low Places” & “We Shall Be Free” Garth Brooks – ditto; “Friends” has an EXCELLENT beat for lopwolopw!
“The Bitch is Back” Elton John – The next three are Mama & her eclectic wonderfulness; I miss your LPs!
“Spanish Bombs” The Clash
“Beautiful” Carole King
“Short Skirt Long Jacket” Cake – Although friends here claim Cake is all about irony, I’ll continue to listen to this one and feel unironically empowered & awesome.
“Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out” & “Rosalita” Bruuuuuuuce – Mama, although 10th Ave is also a Pat dance party song
“California Girls” Beach Boys – From Erin, but encompasses all of home & high school
“Red Sweater” Aquabats – EJ, circa 1998-99

What were accidentally left of are “Shine Shine Shine” & “Box of Rain” for Laura & Emma. (Also, “I Just Want the Girl in the Blue Dress to Keep Dancing” by Mike Doughty, which has become a recent—and likely overplayed—anthem.) Although I did turn on “Box of Rain” sometime last week and accidentally triggered a heavy rainstorm, so I’ve got to watch out. I’m more powerful than I thought!

Anyway, I love and miss you all. You’re on my mind and I hope you’re doing well!

2 comments:

  1. I was just listening to that Aquabats album...I think I impressed all neighbors with my singing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling old, not knowing most of these songs! (maybe I just don't know them by name)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete