Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sohte Cavity




Pre-Peace Corps I went to the dentist about every six months for a cleaning and examination. I pride myself on the fact that I have never had a cavity. I was very happy to learn that Pohnpei has a Peace Corps approved dental office. Since I have been in Pohnpei for almost seven months, and I hadn’t been to the dentist in almost 10, I decided it was time for a check up.

The irony began on the way to my appointment, my taxi driver was missing most of his teeth, I hoped this wasn’t some sort of omen, but rather a good reminder as to why I was voluntarily visiting the dentist.

After entering the waiting room, which had neither plush sofas, an assortment of magazines, nor aroma of potpourri, I checked in and was ushered back into the examination room. The woman who would be cleaning my teeth greeted me with a gold-toothed smile, again, a reminder as to why I was here. I sat in the chair and we started engaging in small talk, she asked me all the typical questions: Do I have brothers and sisters? Where in the states am I from? What religion am I? Do I like Pohnpei?

I thought I could be nice and show some interest in her. I asked her where she had gone to school to become a hygienist. I asked the question because I thought travel could be something we had in common, but she took it as I was nervous about having her work in my mouth. It turns out she wasn’t a hygienist like I first assumed, but rather a dental assistant. She informed me not to worry, she had been doing this for 26 years, and although she had never been to school, she had learned from experience.

After taking a peak in my mouth she noted how nice my teeth were. She repeatedly said, “Sohte cavity” which means “no cavities” she also told me several times in Pohnpeian how nice my teeth were.

Although she had never received formal training she had mastered the art of asking questions while her hands were in my mouth and there was no way I could answer. She also completed all the normal routine cleaning procedures. The only big difference was instead of an easy listening radio station playing in the background, I could hear the Filipino Soap Opera playing in the waiting room.

There were a few “I’m in Pohnpei reminders” during my visit, the chair was never fully reclined, which didn’t bother me, but I think it made it more difficult for her to have full access to all of my teeth. Also, since most of the teeth she sees everyday are covered in tobacco, limestone, and betel nut residue she told me that my teeth were already clean. I think she was confused as to why exactly I had come to the dentist when it was obvious that my teeth were fine. Also I wasn’t told I was doing anything wrong. When I have visited my dentist in the past it seems no matter how well I think I am brushing or flossing I am given directions to improve.

I’ll be visiting my regular dentist in 9 months or so, when I’m home for a visit. We’ll see how “mwahu douluhl” my teeth really are.

Although I’m Cori Jo, not Mollie, her teeth are also uhdahn mwahu! I hope you have enjoyed our April Fools blog swap, you can read about Mollie here.

Cori Jo

1 comment:

  1. Awww.ya got me! April Fool's hits me again! I was taken once 4 days ago. I'm such an easy target!
    I guess that's what I get for waiting so long to read Mollie's blog. Cori Jo, nice to read your message board here...
    My dad's a dentist and believe me, it's hard for a dentist's daughter to get herself and her kids in to see the dentist every 6 months. All my life, we've been late in going. 9 months, 2 yrs.,... unless we lose a filling, then we're back without a problem gettin' in. Hope all is well for you and the fam in Pohnpei.

    ReplyDelete