Thursday, December 10, 2009

Student work that brings a smile

Here are a couple of samples of student work that amused me. Thought I could pass them along to you. Both are from my 8th graders, although my 7th graders are adorable and funny, too. Maybe more so, for being younger.

This first one is from an assignment to write the lyrics to a song--either their own or one they've heard--and to mark the pronouns in it (we're doing parts of speech, you see). Although the student missed the memo about pronouns, I still thought it was a lovely bit of school-related holiday cheer:

My five Christmas days in school
By Sonia

On the first day of Christmas my true friend sent to me a student who likes to write songs.

On the second day of Christmas my true friend sent to me two sharp pencils, and a student who likes to write songs.

On the third day of Christmas my true friend sent to me three Christmas trees, two sharp pencils, and a student who likes to write songs.

On the fourth day of Christmas my true friend sent to me four Christmas presents, three Christmas trees, two sharp pencils, and a student who likes to write songs.

On the fifth day of Christmas my true friend sent to me five notebooks, four Christmas presents, three Christmas trees, two sharp pencils, and a student who likes to write songs.

This second one is from today's journal assignment to think of five nouns that are important to you and to write a sentence/draw a picture for each one. This student had nothing on his paper except for a lovely, detailed drawing of our classroom and this sentence:

“School is important to me because when I get to college I’ll take my refund.”

(Note: All College of Micronesia students receive a refund from the government to "save for their futures." Sometimes government funding is funny.)

3 comments:

  1. i like that second kid's style. i hope he got an A, despite not following directions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your Christmas season warm and humid? Remember the years we've been surprised to have 80 degree weather on Christmas Day here in CA? Glad to hear you have some humorous kids in your class. The more creative the assignment, the more creative they come back. Enjoy your Christmas, Micronesia-style! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i miss yooooooou...

    its blizzard-y in NYC and i wanted to draw you a picture in the snow and then pic message it to you, but i cannot. so i got myself a peppermint mocha instead, :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBAxaQcHIsM

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete