Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I sohte wehwehki!

I sohte wehwehki! = I don't understand!

We started language training on Monday, and today I demanded to know this phrase. My poor, patient language instructor obliged.

Even though I've been listening to Pohnpeian for nearly four weeks now, I still get flummoxed when I need to process & answer a direct question. Mostly because I have the deep-seated desire to be perfect (in fact, while writing this sentence I inspired a debate between two of my PCT friends over "which is right? deep-seated or deep-seeded?" ... we went with the former), and the language-learning process just doesn't work that way. I have to make mistakes in order to learn. The best and most frequently used analogy for what I'm experiencing right now is that I'm pretty much a baby here in Pohnpei, linguistically, culturally, whatever. Even though I've had a few decades to learn in the U.S., I have to relearn everyday things, especially language and behavior. It can be frustrating, but it's also going to be incredibly rewarding when I finally become ... a toddler!!!

So patience is the word of the day. For me. For using the internet here (So slow! No photo uploads today!) For the people waiting for me to finish this blog post.

On that note, I must be off.

Love from Pohnpei!
Mollie

3 comments:

  1. I know our language learning has been brought about for different reasons, and yours seems far more exotic than mine, how exciting! I have been here for 2 months now and have finally seen a very different level of comprehension, finally! I love Spanish, and I'm sure Pohnpeian is very awesome in its own ways. How fascinating!!! Almost certain I'd like to learn 3-4 more languages in my lifetime (fluently, or rather, perfectly, as you say). Keep making mistakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep On Keepin On! Applies to language learning too! Be the parrot and repeat it out loud, even when you're alone. I look forward to hearing some, I haven't a clue what it sounds like.
    Hope you're having success and feeling great about it.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this feeling, Mollie! Have you ever listened to a toddler trying to fall asleep? Well if you haven't, they go over all the new words that they learned that day. They talk themselves to sleep instinctly. I always thought it was cute/strange. But then I started talking myself to sleep when I was in Russia. It wasn't by choice, words would just move through my head as they were being processed. You can do it, love. I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete